As soon as I purchased my first home, I realized that it was going to be difficult to take care of all of the appliances. I was worried that some components would fail or that others would simply suffer from neglect. Unfortunately, I had no idea what to do in order to avoid these types of problems. To ward off my worries, I decided to hire a professional HVAC contractor who could help. I was able to find an incredible business in my area who really cared about their products and services. They taught me how to look for problems and how to troubleshoot a lagging system. Check out this blog for more information about protecting your HVAC system.
Mold is ubiquitous. It can be found in cool, damp places outside of your home, and the microscopic mold spores it releases can make their way into your home. As long as your home stays dry, this really isn't a problem. Proper cleaning habits and a good air filter should help to eradicate the mold from your home. On the other hand, if you have a flood, the conditions are ripe for a mold infestation. Some parts of your home are easier to clean up than others. Ducts are a notorious trouble spot.
Mold in Ducts
Ducts are just the sort of place that mold likes. You most likely already have mold spores in your ducts. All you need is a little bit of water to set up the conditions for mold to start growing. From there, the air rushing through your ducts can push the mold spores all over your house. Anywhere where you have damp conditions–your kitchen or your bathroom for example—is a place where mold can spread to. Mold can damage the building materials in your home, and some varieties of mold can be toxic.
Getting Mold out of Your Ducts
If you ever have water leaking into your ducts—whether the water comes from a bathtub or from a flood—you need to have your ducts cleaned. You might think that you can do the work on your own, but you simply won't have the right tools for the job. Your household vacuum might be able to reach down the first few feet of the ducts, but to make sure the entire run of your ducts is clean, you have to trust the job to the professionals. They will have a high-powered vacuum and brushes that will be able to reach down the full length of your ducts. When it comes to your health, saving a few dollars by trying to do the job yourself is not worth risking the threat to your health presented by mold.
Mold can cause all sorts of problems in a home. If the infestation is bad enough, mold can cause enough damage to cause your home to be condemned. Even if the damage is not bad enough to compromise your home, you can develop allergies, and if you have toxic mold in your home, you can be facing a serious risk to your health. Considering these implications, if water ever gets into your ducts, you need to call professionals like Atlantic Heating and Cooling to properly clean your ducts.